1/15/2016

Jingle Stars

I finished up my Christmas quilt on Monday. Shortly after my last post, we decided my daughter was coming to get me for the holiday. I was gone a few weeks so it is late but that's ok!


I used the Moda Bake Shop tutorial Gooseberry Star Patch Quilt by Peta Peace. I decided to leave the borders off because I just wanted to be finished. I honestly hate doing borders, even though I think this quilt really needed it. It still finished at 51 x 71 so I'm ok with it.


The one and only thing I've learned about my new camera is that the auto mode really distorts the true colors. I still have lots of learning to do...

I have the Janome 6600P sewing machine and it doesn't come with the popular serpentine stitch. My friend Moira directed me to a Facebook group where someone had posted the exact instructions to program this stitch into your machine. I was thrilled to finally have this option. I don't think this quilt was the best pattern to compliment the serpentine but I couldn't wait to try it out! I quilted lines about 2 inches apart and wish I would have done one inch, but again, I wanted to finally have a finish.


For the back I just added Bella white to the strip of print, my usual go to backing.


For anyone unaware, the fabric is Jingle by Kate Spain for Moda. Her Christmas lines are always so bright and fun. I really love traditional red and green in Christmas quilts!

So, there you have it, finally a finish from me. It was so satisfying to sew that last stitch on the binding!
Have you guys seen all the amazing Christmas lines coming out in May?! (I'm a sucker for anything Christmas) I hope everyone had wonderful holidays!!


Linking up to Needle And Thread Thursday, Fabric Frenzy Friday and Finish It Up Friday

20 comments:

  1. Very pretty Christmas quilt, you can never go wrong with Kate Spain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cool quilt! I agree with Judy that Kate Spain fabrics will always get great results. This looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it - so nice and fresh looking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks fantastic, what a great finish! I like how the pattern creates star shapes, especially.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on this beautiful finish. It is such a cheerful quilt. And I am very intrigued about programming that stitch. I wonder if it will work on a Janome 6500.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh it turned out beautiful Chris! I actually like it much better without a border - it looks so modern and crisp that way. You can be proud that you "Got 'er done!"
    We have the same camera and I've been learning not to use the auto setting for the very same reason you named.
    And we almost have the same sewing machine - i have the 7700. I'd love to know if that one is programmable for a serpentine stitch too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how it turned out Christine! I adore all of Kate Spain's Christmas line's as well! :) Thanks for stopping by and linking up! We featured your quilt over on the FWFS blog!

    -Lindsey

    http://fortworthfabricstudio.blogspot.com/2016/01/fabric-frenzy-friday-features_18.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous quilt! I love your fabrics with this pattern!
    I have used the Serpentine stitch on my Viking and really like it. So glad you were able to load that stitch on to your machine.
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you direct me to the instructions for the serpentine stitch? I have the 6500, so maybe it's the same. Thank you! ldladner at bellsouth dot net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've emailed you but am answering here for other readers as well. I'm told there is a Yahoo group called Janome 6500/6600/7700 that has instructions for programming the stitch. Ya'll can check that out if you'd like. Hope this helps some!

      Delete
    2. Hi I would like the email as well if you have it. I also have the 6600 and LOVE it but have wished to have that stitch available so excited to hear it may be possible. Thank you so much!

      Delete
    3. Laurie, you are a no reply blogger. If you want to email me I will see how I can help you!

      Delete
  10. This is wonderful!!!! Perfect fabrics for such a sweet bright pattern! Congrats on a beautiful finish!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my! This is the sweetest Christmas quilt, Christine! I love how those glorious fabrics shine against the white. And the backing is really pretty, too! Congratulations on your first finish of the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love this finish! It's fabulous! It's funny how I've seen this pattern before but never looked twice at it, but when it's used with different fabrics, something just pops. I love it with the Jingle fabrics and I even have a layer cake of it. Just might have to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely gorgeous! I'm a sucker for Christmas lines too - especially Kate Spain's!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like it!! AND!! It is done in time for Christmas.... 2016!! Yay you!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maybe we need a nonprofit called "Quilters without Borders" ?
    Come to the aid of quilt crises around the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps Linda! Lol :)
      If you see this, you are a no reply blogger if you are unaware!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments are encouraged and appreciated!