8/19/2017

Gossamer Finish

I'm happy to say I finished a quilt for the first time in over a year!


This one is made from the Gossamer collection by Sharon Holland for Art Gallery Fabrics. The pattern is Hugs and Kisses, also by Sharon Holland. The white is Moda Bella 98. The pink is  Northcott Petal. I bought the Northcott a long time ago from Sprightly Fabrics. Do you guys remember Sprightly? I loved that shop and miss them. My first experience with Art Gallery was a bundle I won from them. I loved it, needless to say! Anyway, it took just 9 fat eighths of print to make this quilt. Those came from Llama Fabrics, who has also now shut down. That was my go to for Art Gallery so I'm sad to see them go too.



I quilted a 1" crosshatch with Aurifil 6722.
The back few acres of our property is over run with these sunflowers. I had to go through THICK 5 ft. tall flowers that were full of bumblebees and mosquitoes to get these pictures. They mostly left me alone thank goodness! I'm sure the neighbors saw me swatting away and were wondering why I was trying to hang a quilt out there :)


The back and binding are also prints from Gossamer. I was just a few inches short in the piece I had cut, so I added in the extra yellow from the binding. I bought a bunch of backing from Hawthorne Threads during a sale I think. I still have a fat quarter bundle and the blue colorway of the fat eighths, so I'm glad I got lots of backing when I did. The binding is sewn down with Aurifil 2105.


This is my first time using Hobbs Premium 80/20 batting. I really love it! It doesn't crease like 100% cotton batting does. The drape is wonderful too. I have two of the huge rolls of cotton batting I will have to use up before I switch. I found this batting new, still in the package for 95 cents at a thrift store, score!!


This little quilt finished at 44 inches square. I really love the soft modern/vintage look of it. I will be adding to my Etsy store.
If you follow along you will know why this simple little quilt brings me such happiness. The first finish in over a year, for one reason or another. It's my first finish in our "new" home and that itself brings sadness and happiness all rolled into one. For me it's a reminder of the sometimes small but much welcomed improvements in my health. Lots and lots of things wander through my mind as I look at this little pretty!

11 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful quilt. I love your pictures with all the flowers. I hope you continue to feel better and get to make more quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine, your first quilt finish for the year is a beauty! The colors are so calming, but yet refreshing. It will surely spend time with someone who will appreciate these aesthetics! I need to try the Hobbs batting..sounds like good stuff. So glad you're getting back on track and that crazy road we call "life" is more manageable for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a lovely quilt and beautiful pictures of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet quilt and a beautiful view. Sorry you had to battle the bugs. So happy you are quilting again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt and the sunflowers 🌻 made a wonderful setting! Wonderful to see you seeing again😊

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a truly beautiful quilt. The fabrics are gorgeous and the quilting is the icing on the cake! My hope is that the process has brought you peace. I know the past year has been very difficult. And want you to know you have been in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a bright and happy quilt, Christine. Congratulations on the finish and what a beautiful photo shoot in the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a finish it is too! The design you chose suits the fabrics to a T. The photos amongst the sunflowers are simply gorgeous! Thank you for very bee and bite you endured to get those pictures and share them with us.
    I think I know part of why you love the Gossamer collection so much. The large floral on the back looks like a vintage sheet. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely quilt. And the flower field is the perfect spot for a photo shoot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful quilt! I just love the colours in this, especially the large floral on the back!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments are encouraged and appreciated!