10/03/2021

Scrappy Improv Quilting ~ Star Spangled

Hello, and welcome to my stop on the blog hop for Kelly Young's new book, Scrappy Improv Quilting! Most of you know Kelly from her blog My Quilt Infatuation. I was honored to be included in helping with the release! You will find 22 mini quilts packed into this beautiful book. Here's what I came up with!



I chose to make Star Spangled. Patriotic quilts will always be amongst my favorites. There's just something so striking about red, white and blue! I love this flag design and it was much simpler to put together than it initially appears. I didn't have a ton of red or blue scraps, but that's part of the fun in the book projects. It doesn't take many fabrics to put together some super cute and beautiful little quilts! 

If you look close you will see many different fabrics and some are very small pieces. It's fun remembering back to what you originally had made with each print! 



Here's a picture taken inside, I think you can see the improv pieces a bit better.



Improv always intimidated me until I participated in Kelly's first book release, Stash Statement. I truly enjoyed the process of grab, sew, trim and repeat. It doesn't require a lot of thought and I found it quite relaxing! 


My mind is programmed to function best with a set plan in front of me. Kelly's books give you that "structured" plan. She walks you through from start to finish. Although you create the improv pieces to use, there is still a pattern! There are tips included with every project in the book, I really love that! 

Here's a close up of some of the blues in my star block. I apologize for the dark pictures. I'm not sure why they are reading this way.



I used an "organic" wavy stitch to do the quilting. It's such a quick and forgiving stitch, that still gives great texture! I chose a simple bright blue solid to frame the quilt, allowing the blocks to be the focus.




The backing is a vintage blue and red floral print from my grandmother's stash. 
I try to use up my older prints as backings for wall hangings, pillows etc. 




Scrappy Improv Quilting is loaded with tips from scrap selection, tools, piecing help, pressing tips, tricks, cutting and more! It's perfect for a beginner as well as an experienced improv quilter. Also included is help
with batting, basting, quilting...all the way to binding. It really is a complete start to finish instruction! 

I was super impressed with the book quality when I received my copy. It is so VIBRANT and is such awesome quality! There are so many fun projects, my favorite is the cover quilt. Rainbow improv is so, so beautiful!!


You will even learn how to size up your mini quilt, or even make a pillow! 

Ok, here is one last photo of my Star Spangled. 



Thanks for stopping by! You can head over to Kelly's website for a list of the complete blog hop schedule and to purchase a copy of her book. I know it is available on Amazon as well. Also, don't forget to stop by Rebecca Grace Quilting today to see which quilt she has chosen to make! 



11 comments:

  1. You have some very pretty scraps, Christine! Your patriotic mini looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Star Spangled quilt is so lovely, Christine! You definitely DO have some beautiful scraps. I'm so happy you enjoyed making it. Thank you again for participating in the blog hop!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome interpretation of Kelly's pattern!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris! :) You did a great job with your Star Spangled quilt. The fabric shades of red and blue that you chose are so cheerful, one can't help but smile. Kelly's book looks like a fun book to use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty scraps! Anyway, I found another wonderful Quilt Kits collection.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments are encouraged and appreciated!