Modified Open Heart

I finished my first Valentine's quilt a few days ago!

The pattern is Open Heart by Lella Boutique. I modified the cutting instructions to end up with enough for two strips, to add to two side of the blocks. I dislike doing borders, so this added a bit more color to the quilt.

I also did a smaller 4 x5 layout. The fabric is a fat eighth bundle of First Crush by Sweetwater for Moda Fabrics. I'm ready to use up my much too long hoarded Sweetwater stash.

I have several factory cut fat eighth bundles and this is the first one I have opened! I'm wondering the opinion of others on these bundles. I was a bit disappointed in how wonky the pieces were cut. If I had needed the full 9" width, it would not of happened. I probably won't buy any more of these precuts unless I have a pattern picked already that I know will work with less than 9". Has anyone else experienced this problem? I really liked buying these bundles because it's less costly than a fat quarter bundle. 

I intended to do my usual crosshatch but wanted something different and quicker so I used the scallop stitch on my machine. It is spaced about 1.5" apart and I wish I'd made it a bit closer, but it's ok and it's finished! 

I didn't have a quilt holder /helper and it's been cold and windy so I got the best pictures I could inside. The white solid is from Connecting Threads. I get all of my Sweetwater fabrics from Stitches and Giggles, Lori has one of the first shops I ever found and she's amazing, and a good friend :)

It's quilted with Gutermann light gray cotton thread. I buy cones at JoAnn's when it's half off. It's thin like Aurifil and I really like it. It's also on sale right now for 11.49 for 3,281 yards if you're interested! It is only available online. It would be nice if they would make more colors available on these cones, it really helps cut thread costs. I use it for most all my piecing.

For the back I added some of the leftover fat eighth's that had less contrast that I didn't want on the front. I really like how it turned out! I despise piecing backs but they really are so much more pleasing when finished.

The batting is from the giant rolls of cotton I still need to use up before I switch to Hobbs.
It is bound with Aurifil 2255 thread. It finshed at 53 x 66.

I'm really happy to have a finish, and one that was on time! Have a great weekend everyone!

Linking up with Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation, Let's Bee Social at Sew Fresh Quilts and Finish It Up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts